Unlock Your PTE Success: FREE 6-Hour PTE Masterclass on May 20th 2024, 10:00 am to 5:00 pm, at Pathway education Campus.

Register Now

  • Melbourne | Bangladesh | Srilanka

Blog Single

partner and family visa

How to Apply for Partner and Family Visa?


Are you living, working alone in Australia and craving for the family reunion? If so, then Subclass 820 and 801 Partner Visa or a family-sponsored visa can help you make it come true!

In this article, you can learn everything you need to know about these types of visa including their benefits, eligibility criteria as well as step-by-step application processes for each visa. It would be of great to youif we start by exploring your options.

What is 820 and 801 Partner Visa?

Let’s kick off our introduction with 820 Partner Visa. This visa is designed for Australia citizen, Australia permanent resident (PR) and New Zealand citizen to have their spouse or de facto partner to live in Australia for one and a half year to two years.

What is more, with 820 Partner Visa you also can:

  • Apply for 801 Partner Visa, which grants you the permanent residency in Australia.
  • Study or work in Australia
  • Travel from or to Australia as many times as you want
  • Receive Australian public medical health care scheme, also known as Medicare
  • Attend English language classes provided by the Adult Migrant English Program
  • Include your dependent child in your application.

Am I eligible to apply for 820 Partner Visa?

The applicants for 820 Partner Visa must meet the following requirements:

  • You must be the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, Australia permanent resident or New Zealand citizen
  • When you lodge your application, you need to have a sponsor (who usually is your partner)
  • You must be aged over 18
  • Meet the health and character requirements set by Australia Home Affairs department
  • You do not have any record of having a Visa cancelled or an application refused while you were in Australia
  • You do not have debts to Australia Government

How to apply for 820 Partner Visa?

  1. You could apply for this visa by yourself through Home Affairs website https://immi.homeaffairs.gov.au/visas/getting-a-visa/visa-listing/partner-onshore/temporary-820#Overview or you can find a registered migration agent to set it up for you.
  2. Gather all the necessary documents that can prove you are eligible to apply for this visa
  3. Lodge the application online through your ImmiAccount https://online.immi.gov.au/lusc/login and pay the fee for this visa application
  4. After you apply, you still can add family members to your application. Also, you will be notified of the result in regard to your visa application.

How can I apply for 801 Partner Visa (permanent)?

801 Partner Visa (permanent) is a subsequent stream of 820 Partner Visa (temporary). Therefore, you need to be the holder of 820 Partner Visa to be eligible for 801 Partner Visa. Correspondingly, once you have 801 Partner Visa you can receive additional benefits compared to 820 Partner Visa. For example, you will be able to:

  • Live and work in Australia indefinitely
  • Sponsor your family members to come to Australia

What are the eligibility criteria for 801 Partner Visa (permanent)?

Other than currently holding an 820 Partner Visa, you will need to still be in the relationship with your spouse or de facto partner. Also, you are still required to be sponsored at the time of applying for 801 Partner Visa.

If you meet these criteria, you can apply for 801 Partner Visa in the same way as 820 Partner Visa.

What do you know about family-sponsored visa?

If you are an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen, and you are considering to have your parents move here to live with you, then family-sponsored visa could be a good option to you. 

There are two types of family-sponsored visas: temporary and permanent.

For temporary visa, you can choose from 173 Contributory Parent (Temporary) Visa, 600 Visitor Visa and 870 Sponsored parent Visa (Temporary). Each of these visas can provide your parents with a period of time (vary from 12 months to 5 years) to live in Australia.

As for Permanent visa, your options are 143 Contributory Parent visa and 103 Parent Visa.


For an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or New Zealand citizen to reunite with their spouse or de facto partner, you could apply for 820 Partner Visa to have your partner first live in Australia temporarily; Then apply for 801 Partner Visa to obtain his/her permanent residency. If it is your parents you wish to reunite with, you can become their sponsor and apply for a temporary or permanent visa based on your preference. Temporary Visa can provide your parents with more than 1 year to live in Australia, whereas Permanent Visa can ensure them living with you permanently. Correspondingly, a permanent visa application is more costly and take more time to process than a temporary visa application

Contact Us
[miniorange_social_login shape="square" theme="default" space="4" size="35"]